Recreation > Bird Watching & Wildlife
St. Germain is a favorite destination for those seeking to watch birds and view wildlife. One of the reasons is that St. Germain is nestled in a vast area of wild, undeveloped lands with a huge abundance of water, top-quality habitat and other resources. The Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest provides a huge variety of habitat and gives wildlife enthusiasts some awesome opportunities.
Bring your Binoculars! Don’t forget to take your binoculars when you are out enjoying the water, hiking on the trials or even driving in your car. St. Germain showcases a variety of birds, and spring and fall migration are especially good times to observe waterfowl and songbirds.
When on the water, keep an eye out for the loon. At first you may think you are seeing a duck as the body shape is similar, but if you look closer you will see their distinctive coloring. At night their haunting call echoes across the lake. A bonfire, good friends and loon calls punctuating the night air is a great end to a beautiful day.
Also watch for the majestic bald eagles soaring above the lakes in St. Germain. With our large population you are sure to spot one on your vacation, either on the water or sitting high in a tree along the roadside.
- Birdwatching in Vilas County
- Natural Areas in Vilas County
- Click here (PDF) to view the Great Wisconsin Birding & Nature Trail-Northwoods Region online publication.
- Click here (PDF) to view the Wisconsin Wildlife Primer-Wildlife Habits & Habitat online publication.
- Click here for information about deer feeding and baiting ban in Forest, Oneida and Vilas County that started January 11, 2016.
- Click here for more information about deer feeding and baiting bans in effect statewide for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).
Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest Trails
- Biodiversity in Wisconsin - Links to information, including factsheets.
- Birdwatching & Wildlife in Oneida County
- EEK! Environmental Education for Kids - Electronic magazine for kids. Learn about the great outdoors!
- Helping Injured/Orphaned Birds & Wildlife (PDF) - Fact sheet on when & how to help injured and/or orphaned birds and wildlife.
- Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest Recreational Overview Map - Recreation & facilities map in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Oneida County Hiking & Biking Trails (PDF) - Map for hike/bike/ski trails, canoeing routes & birding locations. Click here for detailed Oneida County trail maps.
- Trail Etiquette & Safety - Department of Natural Resources online publication.
- Wisconsin Important Bird Areas - Information & maps about important bird habitat areas in Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Society for Ornithology - Wisconsin’s Premier Birding Organization