Recreation > Paddling
Set deep in the center of the Northwoods, St. Germain is the perfect place to launch your next paddling adventure. Paddlers will find a number of rivers and streams, as well as a number of no-motor lakes that are ideal for canoeing and kayaking. There are plenty of paddling opportunities close to town, as well as some secluded lakes deep in the bush for those looking to get far from civilization.
Paddling your Way. There are some places only a kayak or canoe can take you. With all of the lakes, rivers and streams in St. Germain you are sure to find an adventure for any level of paddler. Glide your kayak or canoe through some of the clearest waters in the Northwoods. Bald eagles and loons will be your audience as you find your own piece of paradise in the waters of St. Germain. And if you are not traveling with your own equipment, no worries! There are many places in St. Germain where you can rent kayaks or canoes.
St. Germain Area Boat & Watercraft Rentals
- Coontail — Kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, wakeboards & waterski rentals.
- Hawk’s Nest Canoe Outfitters — Canoe, kayak, rafting, tubing rentals & trips.
- Nortech Marine - Marine rentals, sales & service.
- Paul’s Rent-All — Jet ski & pontoon rentals.
- Premier Powersports & Marine - Marine rentals, sales & service.
- St. Germain Rentals — Jet ski & pontoon rentals.
- St. Germain Sport Marine — Fishing, pontoon, ski boats, personal watercrafts, outboards & snowmobile rentals.
Click here to view the Vilas County Paddling Guide.
Click here to view the Town of Newbold Waterways map.
- Boating in Wisconsin — Department of Natural Resources links.
- EEK! Environmental Education for Kids — Electronic magazine for kids. Learn about the great outdoors!
- Find a Lake — Searchable database by location, fish type or with landings, beaches or public lands/parks provided by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
- Invasive Species in Wisconsin — Department of Natural Resources information.
- Non-Motorized Lake List — List of lakes that do not allow motorized boats in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest Recreational Overview Map — Recreation & facilities map in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest Canoe Routes — Links to various canoe routes in the NHAL State Forest (PDF).
- Oneida County Hiking & Biking Trails (PDF) — Map for hike/bike/ski trails, canoeing routes & birding locations. Click here for detailed Oneida County trail maps.
- Vilas County Paddling Trails - Information & maps on paddling trails/routes in Vilas County.
- Water Trails in Wisconsin — Department of Natural Resources information & links.
- Wisconsin Lake Information — Important questions & answers on Wisconsin lakes.